Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cultural Event #3: Warhol in Colorado


Today, I went to the Warhol exhibit at the University of Denver.  This was also my first exposure to Warhol's work.  I felt that the most striking of Andie Warhol's work was his screenprints, shown above.  The screenprints show classic figures and icons from our culture, but the altered colors and additions to the prints give each image its own new connotation.  Andie experimented with different subjects for his photography and his art, including sports photography, including screenprints of Mohammed Ali, as well as sexuality.  He became quite well known for his print of the Campbell's soup can, so much so that when he took his exhibit to the university of colorado, students brought soup can labels for Warhol to sign.  The exhibit contained many photographs and prints that were donated to the university of denver.  Besides Warhol's work, a lot of work was put into maintaining the environment as an art exhibit, but I feel that the surrounding environment took on the moods of Warhol's work.  The walls had different colors, all complimenting the brightly colored screenprints on every wall.  Overhead lighting was perfectly aligned to make each print pop out brilliantly.  Such a wonderful exhibit did not require a sign to tell people to be respectful and well mannered.  The power of the art and the environment inherently commanded respect and reverence.  The exhibit showed Warhol's work as what it truly is -- Great Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a sophomore in college, studying Biochemistry and math, but I am a pilgrim for knowledge. I seek neither greatness nor acknowledgment, but rather to experience and understand the complex world of ours. My desire for this experiential journey of mine is to gain knowledge and wisdom and, more importantly, to form strong bonds of friendship with the individuals around me. This journey began in December of 2008, when a friend of mine died at the age of 17. In his short life, he had changed lives in ways that I never have done. I was struck by the beauty of the life that had been lost, and I made a promise that day to reach out to people around me; to live a life not wasted. My eyes were opened. My life was changed. My journey had begun.

Followers