Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cultural Event #1: Brass Tree Session

      




       There is a piece of musical culture that my roommate from Nashville introduced me to that most Coloradans have never heard of; a thing called a 'house show'.  A typical house show features several local bands playing right from the living room of a host home of sorts.  My roommate took me to my very first house show a few weeks ago.  This house show is recurring, and it is called the Brass Tree Session.  That night, three bands played: Hot White, Thee Goochi Boiz, and Nipples N Dimes.  Although the music wasn't at all what I normally listen to, the garage rock environment was comfortable and unique, unlike any other musical venue.  It was possible to walk up and talk to the band members, and when listening to the bands play, you would be standing less then 10 feet away from the whole band.  In that environment, something special happened. Even though I didn't like the music, I started to understand what the band was feeling and what they wanted to say through the music.  It was easy to make friends in the crowd of 15 to 30 people, and between shows we would go into the backyard and engage in random conversations while sitting around a fire.  Great Art does not have to be born in music or art studios in California or New York. Great Art exists independently of whether or not it is recognized or popular.  Great Art can live in a living room, lighting up the lives of the people that attend.  Don't overlook art by unknown artists, treating it as insignificant.  All art is important, as long as it has a meaning, even if it only has a few fans.  All that matters is that it at least impacted the lives of people at all.  The Brass Tree Session opened my eyes to new types of music and a whole new culture altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a sophomore in college, studying Biochemistry and math, but I am a pilgrim for knowledge. I seek neither greatness nor acknowledgment, but rather to experience and understand the complex world of ours. My desire for this experiential journey of mine is to gain knowledge and wisdom and, more importantly, to form strong bonds of friendship with the individuals around me. This journey began in December of 2008, when a friend of mine died at the age of 17. In his short life, he had changed lives in ways that I never have done. I was struck by the beauty of the life that had been lost, and I made a promise that day to reach out to people around me; to live a life not wasted. My eyes were opened. My life was changed. My journey had begun.

Followers