Monday, February 14, 2011

Project 2

The Juxtaposition Of Masculine and Feminine

A Language of Romance

Gender can be expressed in so many different ways, but in certain languages, such as Spanish, words themselves have genders.  For instance, the Spanish words novio and novia, as shown above, translate respectively into boyfriend and girlfriend.  The juxtaposition between men and women is inherent in the language. Is it possible that the language itself affects the quality of relationships?

Snow 'People'

Why is it that snow people are always referred to snowmen? What makes them male or female? As seen above, and in many christmas specials, snow people talk and act like humans do. This may seem like a trivial comparison, but isn't this what we do with gender? We often refer to a population overall with a masculine gender. For instance, "All men are created equal".  Our use of the English language excludes women; is this why women still don't have equal constitutional rights to this day?

Segregation

Yes, admittedly there are sufficient reasons for segregation in this context. But this image of a water fountain with two separate signs strongly reminds me of racial segregation and discrimination.  How do we treat gender in modern day America? Should it be discussed more than it is?

Distance

Have you ever noticed the significance of the physical distance that people place between themselves? This physical proximity says a lot about the relationship, even if you know nothing else about the people.

Contrast

From my experience, the church can have different personas. It can be warm and welcoming like a mother, or it can provide the support and security of a father.  It might be something different for each individual. I feel like the shadows and highlights in this photo give a bit of that sense of mystery and unknown.


Gender seems to be a topic that is constantly being discussed in the modern era. Similar to race, we constantly have to be aware of not generalizing genders, and instead being very intentional about our use of pronouns. Small slips of the tongue can result in debates and arguments because it is one of our society's hot topics.  I feel that we are putting too much effort into defining and characterizing the role of gender in our society and culture.  Instead we should focus on the beauty of gender and how nature defines it.  As I took the photos above, I aimed to represent gender in new ways, showing it in ways that it may not have been shown before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a sophomore in college, studying Biochemistry and math, but I am a pilgrim for knowledge. I seek neither greatness nor acknowledgment, but rather to experience and understand the complex world of ours. My desire for this experiential journey of mine is to gain knowledge and wisdom and, more importantly, to form strong bonds of friendship with the individuals around me. This journey began in December of 2008, when a friend of mine died at the age of 17. In his short life, he had changed lives in ways that I never have done. I was struck by the beauty of the life that had been lost, and I made a promise that day to reach out to people around me; to live a life not wasted. My eyes were opened. My life was changed. My journey had begun.

Followers