Monday, January 24, 2011

"Photography, Video and Video Journalism"

As I take photos and maintain this blog, I try to regularly look at the photographs of other photographers on other blogs. Doing so helps me gives me insight into my own life and my own photography, giving me new ways to be creative with how I compose photos, or what I aim for them to mean. So many of my photos have little or no meaning to me, but the photographs on the New York Times blog called Lens always speak a thousand words. As new photos are posted each day or every few days, I always feel like I am experiencing the moments shown with the subjects of the photos themselves. These photographers capture emotion, movement, catastrophe, and everyday life. Each album has something to say, but it doesn't require words to say it. The subtitle of the blog is "Photography, Video and Video Journalism" for good reasons. It combines the three mediums into a powerful mixture that goes beyond the power of any one form. Lens is a diary of the people of the world.  I give you the challenge that I gave myself; find meaning for your photos! Don't take photographs simply to capture the beauty(or ugliness) if our world. Take photographs to hold on to the significance of those images, and to give that significance a new light.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a sophomore in college, studying Biochemistry and math, but I am a pilgrim for knowledge. I seek neither greatness nor acknowledgment, but rather to experience and understand the complex world of ours. My desire for this experiential journey of mine is to gain knowledge and wisdom and, more importantly, to form strong bonds of friendship with the individuals around me. This journey began in December of 2008, when a friend of mine died at the age of 17. In his short life, he had changed lives in ways that I never have done. I was struck by the beauty of the life that had been lost, and I made a promise that day to reach out to people around me; to live a life not wasted. My eyes were opened. My life was changed. My journey had begun.

Followers